Updated: Jul 4, 2022
When we’re born, we inherit not only biological genes from our family but also belief
systems and behavioural patterns. That being said, trauma can also be passed on from
one generation to another. Once the first generation of survivors experiences a trauma,
they can pass their fears, grief, anxiety, etc. on to their children and future generations
via, what’s known as, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Passing on unresolved traumatic fears and anxieties to future generations can limit the
capacity for happiness, freedom of choice, success in accomplishing goals, ability to
maintain healthy relationships and strong well-being.
What kind of traumas can we inherit?
The possibilities are endless and can affect individuals in different ways. Some of these
traumas can be triggered by age, a certain life situation, moving from one place/country
to another, etc.
Some examples include:
● Fertility issues preventing you from becoming pregnant
● You encounter multiple obstacles when starting a new business
● You earn a decent living, but cannot manage your finances
● You wish to settle down and start a family, but you always seem to choose
partners that are unavailable (i.e. married, unable to commit, etc.)
● You suddenly feel depressed, and as though your life has no meaning
● You’re experiencing body pain, but cannot find the root of the problem
● You suddenly find yourself feeling anxious in situations you once handled
● After moving to another country, you constantly doubt your decision
● You don’t feel worthy to live
● You feel you need to be a victim or a martyr, or you feel excessive guilt
● You place more importance on taking care of other people’s needs before
● A new allergy poses difficult challenges to your daily life
● You let obsessive thoughts take a hold of you, creating a vicious cycle
● Negative relationship patterns with friends, loved ones, co-workers, etc.
These situations may make us feel as though we’re stuck in a pattern of problems.
Family Constellation offers a chance to understand these patterns at the deepest level
and enables unwanted patterns to be brought to resolution, thus finding peace and
As we gain a better understanding of these situations, we discover that their root cause
is something that has been passed down from past generations. You don’t need to carry
the pain and suffering of something that never occurred to you directly. Together we can
work towards breaking the cycle of pain and trauma in order to regain control of our
lives. Seeking help is the first step to acknowledging the pain of the past and ensuring
future generations are subject to a better life free of trauma.
If you or someone you know is seeking help with PTSD please contact us for more
information, or schedule a Family Constellation session on our website.